Re: [glob2-devel] to-do before 1.0 (was: idea: make existing features wo

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] to-do before 1.0 (was: idea: make existing features work well before adding new features)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:33:35 +1200

Hey Joe,

>For me, the most important goal for 1.0 is: "to have a good set of features and work reliably"

That goes without saying. The list I showed is things that are needed in Globulation 2. Without them, the game just isn't as good as it could be. The features, as states, are bare minimums. Nothing major like a brand new campaign (the campaign system changes should be moved to the wishlist I guess :P) or unit prioritization. Just the little things (most of them anyway).

>I have some small quibbles with the details of the list.  Here are the things I think should _not_ be in the list of things to do before version 1.0:
>* The list includes (by referencing my e-mail) my suggestions for improving Nicowar.

I think Nicowar needs to be complete! If its not, then the game just isn't as good as it can be. And seeing as Brad is working on it anyway, it makes sense to have most of those changes included!

>* The performance of the overlays.

Re Brad comments in the other thread, the performance changes can't be made anyway :P So its kind of "moot point" :P

>* I don't know whether campaigns are essential for version 1.0.
>* The end-game graphs _already_ provide real numbers.
>* I think the horizontal (time) labeling of the end game graphs is low-priority

I actually made the list ages ago (month or two?) and came straight from the wishlist. I havn't remove a few things yet. I'll move campaign upgrades to the wishlist, but the tutorial definatly needs to be made into a campaign regardless of how good the campaign system is. Its too long and tiresome atm!

>* Small details on how "t" ("draw unit paths") works are not essential to fix before 1.0.

It should be easy to fix though. Maybe 1-2 lines. The 5-10 mins spent on this is nothing compared to the amount of time people will try to figure out why they cant trace origin to destination because the lines keep going :P This stays :P

>There are good reasons why autosave files all have the same name.

No other game I play just uses Autosave. They always have the time or map name or both. Globulation 2 cant afford to have one autosave! Besides, lets just say for example we take the map name approach. There is only like 13 maps. Whats 13 autosaves?? 50mb? :P Thats nothing. It needs to be implemented to say you can load say "Autosave - Big Pond" from a game yesterday, even if I just played a playground map! This stays :P

>I think known serious bugs (including any crashers) should be fixed, but I don't think version 1.0 should wait on all bug tracker items.

I meant in the fact that many bugs are old, and no longer valid. Those ones should be removed from the tracker, to make the still valid ones shine through (they are lost in a pile of reports atm :P). Then those still out standing and valid need to be fixed. 1.0.0 is supposed to be stable! If we have any bugs there, they should be delt with one way or another! That said, I've removed it from the list. The devs already know 1.0.0 needs to be stable, so hopefully it will be cleared without the need for that notice anyway :P

>Here are some additional things I think should be in the list:

ROLF. All your change suggestions :P I'll have you know that list isn't my personal list of what I want, they were taken from the wishlist and mailing list suggestions :P Many of them I think are valuable and need to be done, but not in 1.0.0, defaintly most in 1.1.0 though! Except maybe just one for 1.0.0, that being

>* Better globule congestion avoidance.

Dont want to frustrate players :P

--
Kieran.P