Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Are pristine trees really dead?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Are pristine trees really dead?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:11:57 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Charles Duffy <address@hidden>

    > Actually, the keep-em-around crowd does kind of have a point.

    > Revision libraries require cross-directory hardlinks. Not everyone has
    > those.

    > Making sure users have access to a (local?) filesystem that
    > *does* have such support so that they can keep their revlibs
    > there is of course a very very good thing for any AFS-based site
    > deploying arch to do -- but I think it'd be unfortunate to make
    > such a hard requirement for any usage at all.

One reason to use revlibs is to save space in pristine copies.
AFS can't do that (or can it?  are there AFS environments with
union-mount support?).

Another reason to use revlibs is to avoid having a nested copy of the
source tree under {arch}.  No reason that can't work under AFS.

I wonder if anyone using AFS would want to explore making:

a) an option for revlibs that don't use links
   (This would be a pretty small change.)

b) a script to prune revlibs fairly aggressively