Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Are pristine trees really dead?

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Are pristine trees really dead?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:54:03 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Charles Duffy wrote:

> Actually, the keep-em-around crowd does kind of have a point.
>
> Revision libraries require cross-directory hardlinks. Not everyone has
> those.

Not so. You can have rev-libs without any need to hardlink the working
trees against them. The importat thing is to have revision libraries. If
you manage large projects (linux kernel, gcc, [x]emacs) then you MAY want
to save space and speed up things using hardlinks. But don't be confused
they are not mandatory, not at all, they are a convenient feature.

What should be mandatory is to have a default revlib, that what I advocate
for. This way we can rip off pristine trees.

> Making sure users have access to a (local?) filesystem that *does* have
> such support so that they can keep their revlibs there is of course a
> very very good thing for any AFS-based site deploying arch to do -- but
> I think it'd be unfortunate to make such a hard requirement for any
> usage at all.

Ditto.

Pau