Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Are pristine trees really dead?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Are pristine trees really dead?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:22:48 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Florian Weimer <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord wrote:

    > > _Won't_ happen for different reasons, but prohibition against
    > > cross-directory hard links doesn't imply a need for in-tree
    > > pristines.  Why would it?

    > It makes space management a very pressing issue because your revision
    > library tends to grow quickly, without bounds (even if it's sparse).

First thing is -- when I wrote that I was just sleepily overlooking
the links _internal_ to a library and took you to be concerned about
linking to make project trees.   Sorry -- coffee is brewing.

Linkless revlibs would, indeed, grow quickly but I wonder if it might
be worth it anyway, just to get pristines out from under {arch}.  More
agressive pruning of the revlib would cure the space issue.  (And, as
I said, I wonder if there isn't a union-mount option in some
environments.)   But overall, such things are probably best left for
AFS users feeling the pain .....