Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 00:45:48 +0100

   To me help should be optimized for the common case. The common case
   would be that the user is only interested in a small segment of the
   available commands. So I would do it the other way around: Let help
   show the most common ones and add something like --help-full which
   displays all commands.

I still (strongly at that) disagree, a "normal" user might still want
to use some infrequently use command, infact, that is why you use
--help to begin with, you don't remeber a _infrequently_ used command,
or the syntax for it.  If it was common, then you wouldn't be issuing
--help! :-) You wouldn't want tar' --help to only list --create,
--versbose, --extract and --file now would you?  The default behaviour
for --help should always be to list all non-deprected commands, in my
not so humble opinion.

And for new users, they really should read a manual that shows the
most common commands, which then builds up to the less common ones.
As a quickreference for those, --quick-reference, --help=common,
--help=ref or something could be used.  But as a default... Icky.  You
use --help to get info on those things you don't remeber.

In other words, the common case for using --help is to get a listing
on infrequently used commands, and not frequently used ones.