Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help

From: Cameron Patrick
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:30:22 +0800

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>    tla help right shows too many commands; more than half of them are
>    pretty much useless. I propose that we organize all commands into a
>    few levels, like basic, advance, guru and deprecated. By default
>    tla help will only show basic level commands.  If there is no
>    objection, I am going to post a patch.
>
> I object, instead how about something like --help=basic or so?  Often
> you do things like --help |grep FOO to just figure out what the heck
> that thing was called.  I think it is better that --help always shows
> all non-deprected commands.  This is one of those things that irks me
> with gpg since it only lists the commonly used ones. :(

A long time ago (around the time that jblack was release manager), I
began cleaning up the tla help text.

My changes appear to be in address@hidden/tla--help--1.2

The relevant e-mail thread is "Newbie-ized help", beginning with a
post by jblack on 26 Sep 2004, <address@hidden>.
Web archives can be found at

http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c20040926092744.GA4392%40merconline.com%3e

Cameron