Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help

From: ams
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:41:53 +0100

   Of course, you can also decide that tla is not about seducing new
   users, but just about being useful to those who are currently using
   it. In this case UI improvements aimed at new users, like this one,
   are not really worth arguing about.

I'm from this camp.  --help should be a reference "manual" for users
who are already familiar with a program.  To seduce users you should
have proper _documentation_, --help (or help in tla's current case) is
not such a beast.  It is a reference.  A new user won't learn how to
use a tool by only using --help.  But since tla has so many commands
being able to only get a sub-group of them is immensly useful, even I
will use it once in a while.

As for violating the principle of least suprise, I don't see how it
does that.  I find it more suprising to hide all the information than
to showing it by default.  As it is now, tla --help, doesn't do squat,
it would be like having `tla COMMAND help' (SIC!) showing a message
that one should use `tla COMMAND --help' to get brief information
about COMMAND.