Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] clean up tla help
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:49:43 +0000

On 20 Nov 2005 01:46:58 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>    A long time ago (around the time that jblack was release manager),
>    I began cleaning up the tla help text.
>
> How about a compromise.
>
> tla --help -- tla help all
>
> tla help -- what your patch does
> tla help all -- what your patch does
> tla help SECTION -- what your patch does
>
> That way atleast I'll be happy :-) And I think most users who are
> familiar with --help.  All I really want is a sane behaviour for
> --help, since tla uses `tla help' instead of --help, changing `tla
> help' without introducing a sane --help command would be confusing to
> those who are familar with --help.  Hopefully the last sentence makes
> some sense.

"tla help" and "tla --help" are really different things. One is the list
of subcommands, and another is the usage of options. Of course, tla only
has one level of commands, if it had more than one level (like, say, axp
does) it would be more apparent why both are needed.

I think, for consistency with "tla command --help", "tla --help" should
print what it prints now, but may also suggest to try "tla help all".

Regards,
Mikhael.