Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file system interface to a database

From: Milan Cvetkovic
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file system interface to a database
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:23:29 -0500

Andy Tai wrote:
> Thanks for the information. It does not look like this is an easy thing
> to do, to try to put a tla archive on top of sqlite.  But nontheless I
> may try to look into continuing the work you have done when I feel up to
> it...

Well, I am not too sure if this is the good thing to do, to put tla on
top of sqlite (or any database).

One of the main reasons why I decided to use tla (and migrate all
projects in the company to tla) is that it *never* touches the old files
(old revisions). So, you could have portions of your archive on a CD
ROM. I never tried this, but the thought of "not modifying" the previous
revisions gave me high level of confidence that tla will not corrupt my
archive so easy.

With sqlite, I would imagine that there would be a single database for a
number of revisions. Adding a revision would have to modify this
database, rather than add a new file (or directory, or whatever tla
adds). This means that a bug in tla could easyly corrupt old revisions.

At least, there should be always be an option to use file system instead
of sqlite.

Regards, Milan.