Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review of uruk

From: alimiracle
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review of uruk
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 18:25:46 -0700

> After a quick glance of the Uruk website, technologies such as Docker, SourceForge, GitHub and CloudIDE invites to take a closer look:
cloude ide is not part of uruk distro
its part of uruk project
and docker is free
but if the  ide and docker image must removed we will remove it

> While testing the Uruk 3.0 Live image, I've noticed that Firefox ESR is the default browser. >I tried to make an account in the bug tracker to report this freedom issue, but I didn't receive the confirmation e-mail:
thnx for you
we will fix the bug tracker
as for Firefox
As you know Pure is a free distribution as the FSF says
We used it because we thought Pure was completely free
Honestly, I'm starting to doubt pure's credibility
What do you advise us to do, do we remove and replace the browser or is there another more practical solution
Repeat it again the problem is from Pure, not from us
have fun and be free
ali miracle

على 3/24/2023 2:24 AM، كتب tct:
La 23.03.2023 21:41, bill-auger a scris:
setting aside discussion of the FSF's role in this, new distros
are not going to be reviewed without community participation

far be it from me to only complain about a problem, without
offering to help solve it - over the previous thread, i did not
see anyone step forward and volunteer to review uruk

it would be hypocritical for the work-group to also be idle, in
this time when the FSF is under-staffed

the work-group has clearly lost a good deal of momentum in the
past years; so the most pertinent topic to discuss at this time,
is: could we accomplish this now? - are there any volunteers?

It's laudable the effort being put into maintaining a candidate such as Uruk for the list of free GNU/Linux distributions.

https://www.urukproject.org/dist/en.html#docker
https://sourceforge.net/projects/urukos/files/3.0
https://blog.urukproject.org/fr/index.php/posts/uruk-cloudide
https://github.com/azzenabidi/UrukCloudIDE

While testing the Uruk 3.0 Live image, I've noticed that Firefox ESR is the default browser.

I tried to make an account in the bug tracker to report this freedom issue, but I didn't receive the confirmation e-mail:

https://urukproject.org//bt/login_page.php

The problem is that Firefox offers to install the non-free DRM plugin and add-ons from the Mozilla catalogue, many of them being proprietary and promoted on the main page such as: Video DownloadHelper, Enhancer for YouTube, and ImTranslator.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Perhaps Uruk has changed the upstream distro since the FSF evaluation, and a new evaluation is required, or perhaps the upstream distro has changed its policy. It seems that Firefox ESR is packaged by PureOS:

Package: firefox-esr
Version: 91.13.0esr-1~deb11u1
Installed-Size: 212318
Maintainer: Maintainers of Mozilla-related packages <team+pkg-mozilla@tracker.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
http://repo.pureos.net/pureos/dists/byzantium/main/binary-amd64/Packages.xz

And Uruk uses the PureOS repository as its main one:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb https://repo.pureos.net/pureos/ byzantium main
deb http://packages.urukproject.org nannar main

I hope this helps and that the freedom issues can be confirmed and fixed.

Thanks,