Re: Looking for an open source license..

From: Amanjit Gill
Subject: Re: Looking for an open source license..
Date: 5 Jun 2006 14:11:01 -0700

David Kastrup schrieb:

> That is the wrong reason to like the GPL/LGPL, since both of them
> guarantee the freedom to change the code.

Yes, but again nobody really changes platform / infrastructure code
_behaviour_  or high level interface _contracts_ on a daily basis. You
do not gain anything, even as an OS vendor. There is a common consensus
what an mainstream OS should offer from a functional perspective to the
application programmer. I am talking about the way malloc / free is
supposed to work and things like a file system, process etc (very
system specific thigns vary, for example threads).

> Your likings and dislikings are somewhat peculiar.
And of course, irrelevant.

 > This is nonsense.  The whole purpose of BSD-style licenses is to
> _permit_ relicensing, as proprietary, or as GPL or other.
Yes, but as soon as it ends up as being GPL it can never go back to
BSD. These are just the rules of this licensing game.

> You need to get your ideas sorted out.  The purpose of the BSD license

I just want to release code under the BSD license and ensure that it
stays under the BSD license as long as it is redistributed / published
in source form.

> If you _don't_ want people to be able to change the associated
> freedoms in relicensing, you need to use the _GPL_, not a BSD license.

Hmm basically I can choose whatever license _I_ want to, I do not need
to use any of the licenses you mentioned here at all.

I will look into the way mozilla handled it (MPL/GPL/LGPL triple
licensing)

Thank you for your opinion