gpsd-users

Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 21:20:20 +0100

On 1/10/21 1:58 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> You would have to ask him.  They removed the code that allows some of
> the gpsd clients to run without X.It is rare that Debian asks us
> before making changes to their versions of gpsd.

WTF. There are no code changes in Debian. Most things in the -client
package require X. There is the -tools package that does not need X. It
also uses only libraries that have LTS support from Ubuntu. It also
mainly contains tools that are needed on an ntp or similar server to
configure your gps device.
Thats why gpsd and gpsd-tools and libgps* should be in Ubuntu main, the
rest is not.

If you think there is a tool that should be moved to -tools, open a bug
report in your favourite distribution.

Also if you think that you are getting weird dependencies.

Still my suggestion: install without recommends (no idea how well that
works in Ubuntu, though), and live with the 5 X libraries.