gpsd-users

Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:25:16 -0800

Yo Bernd!

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 21:20:20 +0100
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 1/10/21 1:58 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > You would have to ask him.  They removed the code that allows some
> > of the gpsd clients to run without X.It is rare that Debian asks us
> > before making changes to their versions of gpsd.
>
> WTF. There are no code changes in Debian.

I apologize.  I confused what Fedora does with what debian does.

Fedora removed all the gpsd runtime X checks in favor of always installing X.
Which Debian does not do.

But Debian does patch gpsd a bit.  The patches are here:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gps-team/pkg-gpsd/-/tree/master/debian/patches

And Debian does remove build time checks for runtime dependencies:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gps-team/pkg-gpsd/-/blob/master/debian/patches/ignore-test-xgps_deps_check

And Debian does require the user to install more packages then gpsd git
head does.  As seen here:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gps-team/pkg-gpsd/-/blob/master/debian/control

And, or course, Debian splits files up in ways gpsd git head never
envisioned.

Your packages, your choices.  Linux is choice.

> If you think there is a tool that should be moved to -tools, open a bug
> report in your favourite distribution.

On what we 100% agree.  Not a gpsd problem.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588