gpsd-users

Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:29:08 +0100

On 1/10/21 10:55 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Because it broke build time checks and tests for dependencies, which
> were useful to others.  Those had to be removed because so many distros
> made similar choices.  Not a big deal, but IMHO, a loss.

build time checks are all running (and yes, even those for xgps and
friends as I was too lazy to patch more, guess I can even remove that patch.

But what you don't seem to understand: build time dependencies have
nothing, absolutely nothing to do with what the binary packages depend
on. I could install 15k packages from Debian, wouldn't make a difference.

> The real problem, is the distro created sub-packages impose greater
> requirements on the user than gpsd git head does.

Why? they depend on what they need to work.

>> Which line do you exactly mean?
>
> All the X stuff.

please be specific.

There might be cruft from before.
If its in build-dependencies, it does not matter at all. But it can be
removed. So please tell me what you think is unnecessary in there and
I'll have a look.