gpsd-users

Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:55:27 -0800

Yo Bernd!

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 22:42:11 +0100
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 1/10/21 10:25 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gps-team/pkg-gpsd/-/tree/master/debian/patches
> >

> I know.

Good, so you now admit to patching gpsd.  Which is perfectly fine.  A core
right and priviledge of using FOSS.

> > And Debian does remove build time checks for runtime dependencies:
> >
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gps-team/pkg-gpsd/-/blob/master/debian/patches/ignore-test-xgps_deps_check
> >

> yes, not needed at build time.
> Why should I install all that packages if copying files does not
> require them?

Because it broke build time checks and tests for dependencies, which
were useful to others.  Those had to be removed because so many distros
made similar choices.  Not a big deal, but IMHO, a loss.

As I said, your pacakge, your choices.  That is fine.

The real problem, is the distro created sub-packages impose greater
requirements on the user than gpsd git head does.

But, your pacakge, your choices.  That is fine.

> > And Debian does require the user to install more packages then gpsd
> > git head does.  As seen here:
> >
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gps-team/pkg-gpsd/-/blob/master/debian/control
> >

> Which line do you exactly mean?

All the X stuff.

But, your pacakge, your choices.  That is fine.

> > And, or course, Debian splits files up in ways gpsd git head never
> > envisioned.
>
> And that is good. You might want to read policies about library
> packaging and dependencies.

I care as much about Debian as you care about Ubuntu.  And that is fine.

The only real issue to me is getting any user issues sent to the proper
place for them to be resolved.  So, once again, I am sorry you got
sucked into an Ubuntu issue.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588