gpsd-users

Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:57:48 -0800

Yo Bernd!

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:29:08 +0100
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 1/10/21 10:55 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> > Because it broke build time checks and tests for dependencies, which
> > were useful to others.  Those had to be removed because so many
> > distros made similar choices.  Not a big deal, but IMHO, a loss.
>
> build time checks are all running (and yes, even those for xgps and
> friends as I was too lazy to patch more, guess I can even remove that
> patch.

For Debian, yes.  Not for Fedora.

> But what you don't seem to understand: build time dependencies have
> nothing, absolutely nothing to do with what the binary packages depend
> on. I could install 15k packages from Debian, wouldn't make a
> difference.

Better brush up on your mind reading skills.  Got that one wrong.

> > The real problem, is the distro created sub-packages impose greater
> > requirements on the user than gpsd git head does.
>
> Why? they depend on what they need to work.

For some, but not all definitions of "work".  Many gpsd clients
are designed to degrade gracefully in the face of missing dependencies.

> >> Which line do you exactly mean?
> >
> > All the X stuff.
>
> please be specific.

Ask the OP.  He is the guy complaining.  All I know is that his issue
does not exist in git head.

> There might be cruft from before.
> If its in build-dependencies, it does not matter at all. But it can be
> removed. So please tell me what you think is unnecessary in there and
> I'll have a look.

once again, I do not use Debian, and have no opinion on how to change it
for its typical audience.  And the OP is on Ubuntu, so nothing you
can do to help hime either.

All I know is that his problem does not exist in git head, but in his
Ubuntu packages.  Someone that cares about Ubuntu needs to deal with it.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588