Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?

From: Peter Haglund
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?
Date: 22 Dec 2001 13:46:13 +0100

address@hidden (Adam P.) writes:

[...]
> But, I must honestly admit it, I still didn't manage to make it leave
> mail on pop3 server...

Although that can be done, it may be wise not to do so. It sort of
violates the POP3 standard.

RFC 1939 says:

#   Since some of the optional features described above were added to the
#   POP3 protocol, experience has accumulated in using them in large-
#   scale commercial post office operations where most of the users are
#   unrelated to each other.  In these situations and others, users and
#   vendors of POP3 clients have discovered that the combination of using
#   the UIDL command and not issuing the DELE command can provide a weak
#   version of the "maildrop as semi-permanent repository" functionality
#   normally associated with IMAP.  Of course the other capabilities of
#
#   IMAP, such as polling an existing connection for newly arrived
#   messages and supporting multiple folders on the server, are not
#   present in POP3.
#
#   When these facilities are used in this way by casual users, there has
#   been a tendency for already-read messages to accumulate on the server
#   without bound.  This is clearly an undesirable behavior pattern from
#   the standpoint of the server operator.

--
        Peter Haglund
        http://w1.555.telia.com/~u55504319/