Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Long startup time

From: Greg G
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Long startup time
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:32:24 -0500

Gerald wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Greg G wrote:

This is on a Solaris 2.7 box.

I thought everything was slow on a Solaris box? ;-)
  Sure, but this is a wee bit excessive. :-()

When I start up (or HUP the radiusd), there's about a 2 to 3 minute
period between when I get the "users reloaded" message and the "Ready to
process requests" message.  truss shows me *nothing* during this time.
ps tells me that its' in the 'run' state or taking up 40%+ of one of my
CPUs.  What is it doing during this time, and is there possibly a way to
shorten it?  I don't want my radius server to be down that long if I'm
just HUPping it.

Technically you are supposed to do radctl reload to reread config files. I
think it currently just HUPs the process, but in case that changes in the
future you might want to learn the correct way to start with.
Yeah, it currently just hups the thing. I didn't even realize there was a ctl script. I never look in /usr/local/sbin...

Are any of the partitions that radius is interacting with using NFS?
Either the logging partition or where you have your config files?

  Nope.

Is DNS configured for forward and reverse of your primary IP address on
this machine?

  Yes.  Does that matter?  What is it doing during these two minutes?

What version of gnu-radius are you using?

  1.1.  That's what I found as the latest version.

So, is this normal?

It's not normal on my machines, but I'm also not on solaris.

radius#: time radctl reload
Reloading configs

real    0m0.025s
user    0m0.009s
sys     0m0.024s

Well, that's not really a useful number, since it's just doing a HUP and isn't checking results in any way. I mean:

# timex kill -HUP 6631

real        0.03
user        0.01
sys         0.02