Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Long startup time

From: Greg G
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Long startup time
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:30:59 -0500

Gerald wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Greg G wrote:

Is DNS configured for forward and reverse of your primary IP address on
this machine?
  Yes.  Does that matter?  What is it doing during these two minutes?

I haven't seen it affect radius for any reason, but I know some programs
do a lookup of forward and reverse to setup which IP to listen on
properly. I know sendmail will hang for a while if it has DNS issues. Just
a thought.

I gdb'd the process and it seems to be running like heck in radck(). I guess it's trying to rebuild the file into a dbm format?

Nothing is connecting to the radiusd during this read to make it do an IP lookup, but I did an nslookup and it seemed OK. I tried using '-n' and no change there, either.

  Well, that's not really a useful number, since it's just doing a HUP
and isn't checking results in any way.  I mean:

Lets go by these numbers then which we both should have:

Nov 24 12:55:11 Main.info: Reloading configuration now
Nov 24 12:55:11 Main.info: Terminating the subprocesses
Nov 24 12:55:11 Main.notice: child 44579 exited with status 0
Nov 24 12:55:11 Main.info: Loading configuration files.
Nov 24 12:55:11 Main.info: reading /usr/local/etc/raddb/config
Nov 24 12:55:11 Main.info: /usr/local/etc/raddb/users reloaded.
Right. However, that doesn't mean that it's ready to receive requests. Do a 'top' after you do the hup. See what the radiusd process is doing. It's eating the CPU.

Further investigation reveals that the builddbm process is calling the radiusd to build the db. It's calling the same functions that are being run while the main daemon is spinning. The weird part is that it takes about the same 2 minutes to generate the db file. This is *way* *way* *way* too long. makedbm can generate the file in about 8 seconds. Also, the resulting db from GR is 21, yes *21* times the size of the users file. That can't be good at all.

I tried using 'radiusd -b' to make it use the db, but it doesn't seem to want to. Any ideas about that?

-Greg G