Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: Is libtool being maintained at all?
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:40:01 -0400

Scott James Remnant wrote:
On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 11:18, Dalibor Topic wrote:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libt/libtool/libtool_1.4.3-10.diff.gz
etc.

As the Debian Libtool package maintainer, I'd like to know whether it
would be possible to gain CVS commit access to the libtool repository.

Not necessarily to merge in our (fairly hefty, now) patch, but to at
least help with some of the work.

NOTE: the following is not authoritative; it's just my (informed?) opinion...

I'd guess not. It appears that debian's changes are all on the 1.4.3 branch, which is permanently and irrevocably dead. We really really really don't want to provide anybody with more excuses to stay on 1.4.3. If John Q. Developer wants new-and-improved libtool functionality, then we want JQD to use 1.5.x.

We don't want to re-open the 1.4.x branch for more fixes, since that will just keep JQD using that dead branch longer.

Death to 1.4.3!

--
Chuck