Re: GDP: read the 2.11 docs

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: GDP: read the 2.11 docs
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:26:03 +0200

Valentin Villenave writes:

> This issue have been discused with Graham and Trevor recently:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-08/msg00179.html

Ok.  There it says

   if there is any regtests which is useful as documentation and there
   is no corresponding snippet in LSR

Although I agree that would be nice, currently that statement is
ridiculous.  It is way too early for that?  We have about 600
regression tests, and there are only about 220 lsr snippets.  I agree
that newbies should not look at the regression test, but if you shut
out power-users from the regression test, they'll miss about 400
features?  We will have all sorts of questions: Can lily do this?

> How about, for example, http://lilypond.org/web/devel/

That page could serve as a frontend to different versions, just like

    http://lilypond.org/web/documentation

The regression tests are (as the name implies) hard linked to a
specific lilypond version.  They are built as part of the
documentation (or `make web') build, so there should still be an index
page in the documentation, besides Documentation/index.html.in, say
Documentation/devel.html.in?

It's also is an amazing advertisement for lily's features?  How is
a user supposed to report a bug or do a feature request without
having access to the regression tests?

Greetings,
Jan.