DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:56:07 -0500

What do you guys think of including a sample Makefile somewhere in the documentation?

Today I made my first makefile by using one of Graham's (for his thesis) as a model, and it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a sample available somewhere in the docs for others like me who have had no experience creating them. I already have a nice shell script to handle compiling my latex/lilypond-book files, but to share complicated projects like this with others it seemed like a good idea to put a makefile in there. I only had Graham's because he shared his thesis source files with me a while back. I've looked at Nicolas Sceaux's makefile for his operas, and at the GNUMakefile in the LP documentation, but they're so complex that I couldn't use them as models for my own.

My initial thought is to put the sample makefile in either 1) application usage, where it gives the lilypond-book commands, or 2) LM "handling large projects."

If this sounds like a worthwhile idea, I will come up with a minimal sample, write a brief blurb about how/why to use them, then create a patch to run by the devel list. Any input on this would be welcome.

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com