Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:33:56 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 08:42:11AM -0500, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
I would expect that most of that complexity can be removed due to
the new relative \include paths.
I'm not familiar with this as a new feature, but this morning I tried for the first time to use the construct

  \include "../Dirname/filename.ly"

Is this what you mean by relative \include paths? It works great!

No, I mean
  \include "../../init/global.ly"
or
  \include "../init/global.ly"
(as appropriate)

where global.ly includes
  \include "init-layout.ly"
  \include "lilypond-elegance.ly"

and the like.  Those paths should now be found (assuming the files
are in the same location as global.ly); previously they would not
be found.

Ah.  I understand. Yes that's a very powerful feature.

BTW I now have working makefiles for a lilypond-book (LaTeX type) project and for a symphony I've engraved with targets of "score," "parts," "midi," and "all." The parts are unsuitable for actual use but they're sufficient to test the makefile and the build process.

The symphony's makefile works perfectly on Linux but not on Mac at the moment. On Mac, the "make score" command works, but "make parts" keeps coming back with a "make: `parts' is up-to-date" instead of actually running the files. I found the "--always-make" command-line option, which forces it to build the parts, but it would be nice not to have to specify that option. On my Linux machine the default behavior is to recompile the files.

The lilypond-book makefile also works great on Linux but I haven't even tried running it on Mac, since I don't have all the proper latex packages and I don't feel like hunting them down at the moment.

If anyone is interested in seeing or testing the files, they are available as archives here:

http://music2.louisiana.edu/Gratis/

I can't test the makefiles on Windows at all, as I don't have a Windows machine anymore. (even if I did, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to deal with a Makefile on it. :) )

I would welcome "best practice" advice on these. Once I'm satisfied with how they work on Linux & Mac (and Windows if anyone wants to help me with them), then I'll put generic filenames and dirnames to change them into examples suitable for the documentation.

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com