Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:00:28 +1000

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:56:07PM -0500, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
> What do you guys think of including a sample Makefile somewhere in the
> documentation?
>
> Today I made my first makefile by using one of Graham's (for his thesis)
> as a model, and it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a sample
> available somewhere in the docs for others like me who have had no
> experience creating them.  I already have a nice shell script to handle
> compiling my latex/lilypond-book files, but to share complicated
> projects like this with others it seemed like a good idea to put a
> makefile in there.  I only had Graham's because he shared his thesis
> source files with me a while back.  I've looked at Nicolas Sceaux's
> makefile for his operas, and at the GNUMakefile in the LP documentation,
> but they're so complex that I couldn't use them as models for my own.
>
> My initial thought is to put the sample makefile in either 1)
> application usage, where it gives the lilypond-book commands, or 2) LM
> "handling large projects."
>
> If this sounds like a worthwhile idea, I will come up with a minimal
> sample,  write a brief blurb about how/why to use them, then create a
> patch to run by the devel list.  Any input on this would be welcome.

I'll leave it to others to decide whether it should be put in the
manual, but I would certainly appreciate a few sample makefiles to
work from. I have ahad a bit of a look at make, thought they were a
good idea, and then sort of stopped. Most of the tutorials around the
web assume a lot of knowledge about 'real' programming and compiling
which makes no sense to me.

If you (or someone) were to make a start on this, I'd be happy to lend
a hand testing and trying out on my own projects.

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/