Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:42:11 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:56:07PM -0500, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
What do you guys think of including a sample Makefile somewhere in the documentation?

I've been wanting this since before GDP.

Cool. Glad to hear there's interest in this. The one I made yesterday is for building a LaTeX/lilypond-book project that includes a command for creating an index as well. I think now I'll work on one with a more common lilyponder's goal--an ensemble piece with targets of "score" and "parts" and "all."

I've looked at Nicolas Sceaux's makefile for his operas, and at the GNUMakefile in the LP documentation, but they're so complex that I couldn't use them as models for my own.

I would expect that most of that complexity can be removed due to
the new relative \include paths.

I'm not familiar with this as a new feature, but this morning I tried for the first time to use the construct

  \include "../Dirname/filename.ly"

Is this what you mean by relative \include paths? It works great!

My initial thought is to put the sample makefile in either 1) application usage, where it gives the lilypond-book commands, or 2) LM "handling large projects."

AU is slated for demolishment, but there's nothing wrong with
dumping it there as a quick fix; then we'll have the material
available when we move to the next thing.  LM 5 was never
finished, so there's also nothing wrong with dumping it there as a
quick fix.

Yes. Once it's written it can be moved around easily enough. I'll get to work on it and then we can decide where it goes. Thanks guys,

Jon

@Werner: I don't even know what GNU make extensions are so hopefully I can keep them out of the sample makefile. :) I won't be able to test on Windows, so hopefully maybe can help out with that. I saw that Cameron is using Mutt for email so I doubt he's a Windows guy either. (thanks for offering to help test, Cameron!) It would be great for the makefile to be suitable for *nix, OSX, or Windows.

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com