Re: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:39:17 +0100

Jonathan Kulp wrote Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:56 AM

What do you guys think of including a sample Makefile somewhere in the documentation?

Good idea!

Today I made my first makefile by using one of Graham's (for his thesis) as a model, and it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a sample available somewhere in the docs for others like me who have had no experience creating them. I already have a nice shell script to handle compiling my latex/lilypond-book files, but to share complicated projects like this with others it seemed like a good idea to put a makefile in there. I only had Graham's because he shared his thesis source files with me a while back. I've looked at Nicolas Sceaux's makefile for his operas, and at the GNUMakefile in the LP documentation, but they're so complex that I couldn't use them as models for my own.

My initial thought is to put the sample makefile in either 1) application usage, where it gives the lilypond-book commands, or 2) LM "handling large projects."

Not in LM 5.1.3 "Large projects", as the use of \include
isn't introduced until 5.1.5.  I'd be happy with a new
section, 5.1.6 Using makefiles, in the LM.  And equally
happy with this section somewhere in Application Usage.

On balance, maybe the AU is best, as people seeking this
facility will surely have progressed beyond the LM by then.

If this sounds like a worthwhile idea, I will come up with a minimal sample, write a brief blurb about how/why to use them, then create a patch to run by the devel list. Any input on this would be welcome.

Jon

Trevor