Re: State of the pond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: State of the pond
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 22:39:54 +0100

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 08:27:20AM -0700, Adam Spiers wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Trying to anticipate future problems, I recalled guile
> > indentation:
> > http://codereview.appspot.com/4896043/
>
> I would be happy to tackle this and *hope* to have a spare few hours
> at some point in the next month, although it all depends on how things
> pan out when I get back from California on Wednesday - if someone
> beats me to it then that's fine.  Just to clarify, the remaining work
> is to follow Neil's suggestions, merge the patch set, close the
> review, and then run the tool on all .scm files and submit as a
> separate review?

Almost.

Specifications of the guile indenting tool:
- indent scheme exactly as emacs does it.  (if there's
  disagreement between different versions of emacs, then maybe
  pick one?  I don't know about this)
- provide a command-line method of doing the indentation which
  fits into our source repository and does not require the
  user to install 50 MB of software packages (i.e. emacs).

I believe that Carl's script is 95% of the way there, so editing
that is almost certainly the way to go.  However, it is
theoretically possible that it would be less work to find the
emacs lips indentation .elisp file, translate that from elisp to
guile[1] then add a command-line interface to those macros.  I'm
not sufficiently familiar with translating between lisp dialects,
nor the emacs source code, to judge if the latter method might be
a reasonable way to proceed.

[1] why oh why does the main GNU editor not use the "official
extension language for the GNU operating system"??

Whichever method you choose, we would like to review the modified
script before it's pushed.  We have new guidelines (IIRC from
February?) for this process:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/summary-for-experienced-developers
Once the script has been pushed to staging, you (or I) can run it
on all .scm and push that directly to staging as well.

Thanks for your interest!