Re: Macro for(UP_and_DOWN) and 3 similar. (issue 2491) (issue 6109046)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Macro for(UP_and_DOWN) and 3 similar. (issue 2491) (issue 6109046)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:13:30 +0100

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 08:05:53AM +0100, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 26 April 2012 07:55, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I have a meeting in mid-May w/ the University of Paris VIII.  They're
> > donating a computer to LilyPond and I'll set patchy up on it.
>
> While you can set up and cron patchy-merge-staging,
> patchy-test-patches still needs 'human' interaction (reg tests).

Yes, although that could be worked around.  For example, the
server could generate the comparisons, then make them available on
the web.  When somebody (ideally a bug squad member in this
scenario) wants to check patches, they go that url, check the
images, then click "yes, no changes".  Emails with those urls
would be sent to the lilypond-auto mailing list so that anybody
could deal with them.

I was actually thinking about such a system when I first set up
Patchy, with particular reference to me going on vacation with
only a netbook (or tablet) but leaving my desktop computer to do
all that heavy lifting.

> Perhaps this computer could be better spent doing other LP related
> things Donate cycles for devs for instance via SSH - David might be
> appreciative of that.

That's an option.

> I've run patchy-test just now for the three patches outstanding this
> morning. It's no a big deal,

That's yet another egg in the James-basket.  :(

> I'll also look at updating the CG instructions because while it is
> relatively simple, a non-dev like me always has trouble, initially,
> getting all my ducks in a row with regard to setting up LP source
> code, getting patchy downloaded and configured and then running her.

That would be great.

I also seriously wish that you'd take on an assistant -- either
for doc editor or general admin.  We need to get more people
involved in keeping the project running, to spread the load so
nobody gets overwhelmed.