Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 16:05:57 +0100

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 04:59:01PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hmm, I may have misunderstood your comment.  If my response about
> > tags doesn't actually answer your concern, please elaborate.
>
> A source tarball is not the same as a snapshot of the git tree, is it?

I see your point.

My understanding is that the source tarball is a snapshot of the
git tree, plus auto-generated files such as INSTALL.txt which are
generated solely from the snapshot of the git tree.  If that
understanding is correct, then I would feel comfortable arguing
that a diff between git tags is sufficient to "represent" a diff
between source tarballs.

My understanding of the GNU policy is that this is a
recommendation, a "it would be nice for some users if you did
XYZ", rather than a requirement.  In the age of git and
git-snapshot-tarballs and the like, I think this recommendation is
less valuable than it was ten years ago.  However, I could be
mistaken.