Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:22:26 +0200

On 2012-06-20 05:51, Graham Percival wrote:
>  "do not recommend any non-Free programs"
> > We have a list of non-free ones on the easier editing page - e.g.
>  Noteworthy and my converter.  However, it seems daft to me to remove
>  these.  I would think for the long list we could disclaim with
>  "we're not recommending these, but noting that they exist".
Thanks, that seems reasonable.

Actually, to me there is a big difference between "recommending" a program for use and listing alternatives that are compatible (which is the case for the applications in question). I actually don't like the phrasing, because I understand "we're not recommending these" as a nice formulation of "We strongly discourage you from using these".

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * Financial&  Actuarial Math., Vienna Univ. of Technology, Austria
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886