Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 2-1: LilyPond is part of GNU
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:18:57 +0200

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 04:59:01PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Hmm, I may have misunderstood your comment.  If my response about
>> > tags doesn't actually answer your concern, please elaborate.
>>
>> A source tarball is not the same as a snapshot of the git tree, is it?
>
> I see your point.
>
> My understanding is that the source tarball is a snapshot of the
> git tree, plus auto-generated files such as INSTALL.txt which are
> generated solely from the snapshot of the git tree.  If that
> understanding is correct, then I would feel comfortable arguing
> that a diff between git tags is sufficient to "represent" a diff
> between source tarballs.

For typical software like Emacs, release tarballs tended to include the
results of running autoconf and makeinfo, excluding version control
system specific files (things like .gitignore) and the instruction files
for getting from vcs checkout to release tarball state.  The usual
situation was that you needed no part of the Texinfo chain or of the
autoconf tools (including m4) to build from unmodified source.

So there was considerable and non-trivial difference between a vcs diff
and a release tarball diff.  And the instructions reflect that.

I am not really all too sure how to apply this to our situation.  At
present, I think most people would not really be interested in a
separately downloadable diff anyway.