Re: Has anyone in this group ever worked on the midi internals?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Has anyone in this group ever worked on the midi internals?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 02:42:58 +0000

On 3/27/16 7:36 PM, "address@hidden on
behalf of Redwood (Daniel)"
<address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

>Hi David and everyone,
>
>So, I know enough now to conclude I would have to learn a great deal
>before I could accomplish my goal. Before I invest that time...
>
>I wouldn¹t want to proceed without guidance from Jan or possibly Han-Wen.
>Even if I completely accomplished the goal, I can¹t see it shipping
>without their involvement, even if just to say they don¹t want to be
>involved. But preferably they could provide some guidance.

My perception is that neither Jan nor Han-Wen is heavily involved in
LilyPond development at this point.  They are both certainly sources of
understanding, but there are few commits that they currently make.  And I
don't believe that they act as gatekeepers for code getting added to
LilyPond.

I do not believe that you need to get their "blessing" before a patch will
be accepted.  I believe that if you invest the time to understand how midi
works and improve it, your changes will be welcomed by the community.

Of course, without their mentoring, the task of understanding how the midi
system works will be more challenging.  But if you're willing to do it, I
believe you will find good support for your efforts.

Thanks,

Carl