Midi advice

From: Redwood (Daniel)
Subject: Midi advice
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 08:45:26 -0700

Hi David and Carl and others,

It appears that the internal midi code is taking some set of objects, and
mapping them to midi events. No great insight here.

I have a source code question, and a related design question:

Source Code Question:

Where are the musical objects that are being formatted to midi: are they Guile
objects or C++ objects? What’s the best way to see and understand these
objects. From what I can see, most objects in lilypond are format related
(clefs, stems…), not purely musical objects (this pitch for this duration at
this time). I tried the graphviz, and all those objects appear to be format
related (though I see one can tune this output).

Design Question:

It appears that the problem with the non-articulate midi output is that it
takes these events, and maps them one-to-one. What articulate does is to
generate a different set of objects from the originals. These new objects are
like a ‘performance’ of the original objects. I suspect that was Jan’s original
intention (hence the names performer in the midi source files), but never
actually did the step of making a performance from the original events.

My assertion: articulate.ly is awkward and less than successful because it
doesn’t have access to all the information that the C++ code has. But perhaps
I’m wrong: perhaps 100% of what the C++ code knows is available to Guile code?

-d