Re: Midi advice

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Midi advice
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:46:13 -0400

> On Mar 29, 2016, at 2:59 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I can tell you what I understand based on reading descriptions of it, so
> here goes.  (It's also explained in Chapter 10 of the contributor's guide)
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/overview-of-lil
> ypond-architecture

I’ll just add that the Internals Reference can also be helpful for seeing how
things are organized.  So, IIUC...

> LilyPond music is parsed by the parser into Scheme music.

See:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/music-expressions

> Scheme music is transformed by iterators to assign the music to contexts.
> Once the iterators are done, the music is passed to engravers (to create
> printed output) and to performers (to create midi output) in the form of
> stream events.

A list of these stream events:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/music-classes

> Collectively, these are called translators.

A list of translators (engravers and performers):
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/engravers-and-performers

And a list of contexts:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/contexts

Hope that helps,