Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 14:38:06 +0200

I answer somewhat orthogonally to your question: I think that for many
people it's a lot easier to digest the information

"\* creates unfolded repeats; this behaviour may be changed using
\defaultRepeatType percent"
That is one step forward, one step back: one advantage of a fixed
shorthand is that documents written in colloboration can depend on it.
"this behavior may be changed" negates that again.

Yes, undoubtedly (although it's not uncommon to have default behaviour that may be customized, and every collaborative effort is going to need some conventions regarding coding style etc. anyway).

But in the context you quoted, I was not advocating a concrete solution involving some fixed-but-configurable shorthand, but instead trying to weigh "didactical" aspects. In short: I agree with Jean that, since it's not useful to have an abundance of dedicated solutions, it might be better to think about documentation (good exposition and enlightening examples) that enable as many people as possible to put universal tools to good concrete use.

  One reason \etc is so great is that you
can use it in many different cases without thinking too much
or writing a single line in an esoteric, err, not very
commonly spoken programming language.
Absolutely. It's an incredibly elegant tool.
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-07/msg00054.html>

I'm not sure what your point is (but that thread's an enlightening read, anyway). It seems to show that - considering the importance of suggestive names - Dan deserves a fair share of credit for the ingenuity of \etc as well.

Lukas