Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 15:25:56 +0200

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 3:56 AM Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Paolo,

> Why do you say they are visually distracting?

Because as a pianist, it’s easier for me to read

_____/\____       _____/\____       _____/\____

than

                           _____/\____
_____/\____                                 _____/\____

(I hope my ASCII art demonstrates my point sufficiently.)

Hi Kieren,

you should not do that.
As a general engraving rule/practice, pedals should be aligned only if consecutive ones are enough close. Otherwise you would have two holes: the first one at the left of the pedal, and the second one between the pedal and the note. Which is much more distracting than a pedal close to the note which is not aligned to the previous one. And this would be even worse if you have another simultaneous pedal (i.e: una corda or sostenuto): you would be forced to switch the order of pedals which is highly confusing.

In any case, In order to keep pedals aligned, you don't need an extra layer (--> \new Dynamics ):

http://lilybin.com/jx2210/1 )
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#(define pedalOffs 0)
keepPedalAligned = \override Staff.SustainPedalLineSpanner.before-line-breaking = #(lambda (grob)
(ly:grob-set-property! grob 'Y-offset pedalOffs))
stopKeepingPedalAligned = \revert Staff.SustainPedalLineSpanner.before-line-breaking

{

\time 4/4

\set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
\override Staff.PianoPedalBracket.after-line-breaking  = #(lambda (grob)
(ly:grob-set-property! grob 'stencil ly:piano-pedal-bracket::print))
\override Staff.SustainPedalLineSpanner.before-line-breaking = #(lambda (grob)
(set! pedalOffs (ly:grob-property grob 'Y-offset)))

c,\sustainOn c''\sustainOff

\keepPedalAligned

c''\sustainOn c''\sustainOff \noBreak

c' c' c' c'\noBreak

c' c' c' c'\noBreak

c' c' c' c'\noBreak

\stopKeepingPedalAligned

c'\sustainOn c'\sustainOff
r2

}

(I'm sure Aaron or Harm can improve this, but it gives you the idea)

> You could simply use point and click in order to add a pedal or to jump from one pedal to another one.

But putting them in a separate context makes all that extra work unnecessary!?

I don't understand. Why do you think this is extra-work?

 Best,