Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 19:36:35 +0200

Hi Paolo,

well there are pros and cons both ways.

Am 07.04.20 um 18:51 schrieb Paolo Prete:
> as said to Kieren, this is not a good rule.

I know that you said it already but I disagree. I find it easier to read.

> I never saw any music engraver who uses it.

and most of my piano scores of publishing houses do it like this. I have
examples here by Schott and Henle.

Your examples to keep the pedals aligned are interesting and without
that, pedal marks inside the staff don't make sense IMHO. *With* your
alignment functions I consider the results both approaches very close.

> And you would fill the score with tons of redundant skips.

Also a matter of taste and (more importantly) use case. I have a piece
at hand with very regular pedal marks. It is basically a repitition of
the same pattern. It is much cleaner to enter this with skips than in
one of the voices. (By the way: Which one? The lowest?)

So for me, the Dynamics context still needs less manual intervention but
your alignment functions are great and I'll have a look at them for
dynamics.

Cheers,
Joram