Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 18:51:34 +0200

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 4:13 PM Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Paolo and Kieren,

I am currently running into the same issues. I also find jumping pedal
marks irritating, even the Ped * variant. My preferred algorithm for
pedal spacing and alignment (not backed up by any notation standard)
would be this:

1. Pedal marks are vertically aligned per system

Hi,

as said to Kieren, this is not a good rule.
I never saw any music engraver who uses it.
It's much better if you avoid jumps only for contiguous or close pedals. If you use it for *distant* pedals you would have ugly holes
that make the score harder to play.

A separate Dynamics context works quite well but it needs manual
adjustments for (5).

You don't need a Dynamics context for that. Just keep the Sustain/Sostenuto/UnaCordaPedalLineSpanner aligned.
See my example above.
With a Dynamics context you would obtain some bad alignments (see my other example before as well) that you have to correct manually.
And you would fill the score with tons of redundant skips.

HTH
Best,
Paolo