Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 16:13:06 +0200

Hi Paolo and Kieren,

I am currently running into the same issues. I also find jumping pedal
marks irritating, even the Ped * variant. My preferred algorithm for
pedal spacing and alignment (not backed up by any notation standard)
would be this:

1. Pedal marks are vertically aligned per system
2. The staff padding is a little bit larger than LY defaults to
accommodate single lower notes.
3. The padding to notes and ornaments is very small (default)
4. If still required the whole pedal line is pushed down.
5. If single notes push it down very far (~3 staff spaces), the
alignment breaks up and only this pedal bracket is pushed down.

2+3 minimize the need for exceptions (5).

I try to achieve this manually. Typically some staff-padding does (2)
but is not enough for (4). So a separate context with spacers and pedal
marks is closer. This way, (5) is much more difficult, though.
A separate Dynamics context works quite well but it needs manual
adjustments for (5).

Examples are attached.

Cheers,
Joram