Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 15:54:21 +0200

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 3:41 PM Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Paolo,

> As a general engraving rule/practice, pedals should be aligned only if consecutive ones are enough close.

Exactly. That’s what I’m doing — or, more accurately, letting the separate context do automatically.

Hi Kieren,

I don't understand how could you do that with a separate context.
Please look at this:

<<
\new Staff {

\time 4/4

c,c''

c'' c''\noBreak

c' c' c' c'\noBreak

c' c' c' c'\noBreak

c' c' c' c'\noBreak

c' c'
r2

}
\new Dynamics {s4\sustainOn  s\sustainOff  s\sustainOn s\sustainOff s s s s s s s s s s s s s\sustainOn s\sustainOff s s}

The automatic alignment on the last pedal is really ugly, because you see two holes (at the left of the pedal and between the pedal and the note).
 Automatic alignment should be done only for *contiguous* objects.
In addition, with Dynamics layer you have to deal with a huge redundancy.
All this can be avoided in the way I explained in my previous post.
Then I really don't understand why and where the Dynamics layer could be useful.
Hope someone can provide an opposite example...

best,