Re: LilyPond-2.22.2 does not work on Windows XP

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: LilyPond-2.22.2 does not work on Windows XP
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 04:12:01 +0000 (UTC)

> I thought I had downloaded the Lilypond file from the list that you
> mentioned, but to make sure, I repeated the download and made sure I
> downloaded (lilypond-2.22.2-1.mingw.exe) from the list you suggested
> for 32 bits systems.  Unfortunately, I had the same result as the
> first time:
>
> Error message: "The system cannot execute the specified program."

OK.  So we have a first hint: the 32bit MinGW executable for 2.22.2
doesn't work on (your) XP at a very fundamental level.  I can now only
suggest that you search for the last executable that actually works on
Win XP.

* Just to be sure: Start with downloading the 2.10.33-1 bundle and
  check whether it works.  If it does, try 2.14.2, then 2.16.2, and so
  on.  Be careful, however, to move your original LilyPond
  installation temporarily out of the way (including binaries and
  DLLs) so that nothing gets overwritten accidentally.

* If 2.10.33-1 doesn't work, you are completely out of luck,
  unfortunately – it means that you got your binary elsewhere.  Note
  that we also have a 'cygwin' directory, with some binaries (and
  source bundles) up to 2.14.1-1, but it seems that you have to have a
  cygwin environment set up to run this, which you probably don't.

     Werner