Re: LilyPond-2.22.2 does not work on Windows XP

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: LilyPond-2.22.2 does not work on Windows XP
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:35:54 -0500

On 10/12/2022 6:51 PM, Dag Bergman wrote:
I get the error message: “The system cannot execute the specified program.”

This seems like a pretty broad error. I see mentions of needing Right-Click -> Properties -> Unblock, to allow a downloaded executable to run.

Other cases involve system files or runtime libraries of some sort...

<https://postgrespro.com/list/thread-id/1508411>

I am afraid sorting out issues like this is going to "come with the territory" of making operating systems keep working long after being abandoned by their producers. Sometimes people have major reasons for doing so, as in "hard binding to big equipment that costs more than a house to upgrade." When asking for help with them, though, the starting assumption in response will usually be that anything not working can be blamed on the expired system.

I could check my "fencerow" to see if any startable Windows XP machines remain in it for helping test this, but keep expectations near zero and allow at least a week.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA