Re: LilyPond-2.22.2 does not work on Windows XP

From: Nicholas Bailey
Subject: Re: LilyPond-2.22.2 does not work on Windows XP
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 12:13:43 +0100

That's what to do.

XP EULA which they made you agree to:

"3. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS AND OWNERSHIP. Microsoft reserves all rights not
expressly granted to you in this EULA. The Software is protected by copyright
and other intellectual property laws and treaties. Microsoft or its suppliers
own the title, copyright, and other intellectual property rights in the
Software. The Software is licensed, not sold."

So if you buy in, you have to do what they want you to, or risk losing your
work all at once. I see you have a Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern
Studies, University of Oxford email address. They shouldn't be using that OS
any more. Often, students and staff can buy MS licences for personal use
through the institution. I can at Glasgow, but I gave up using MS when I was a
postdoc last century, and spent most of my time trying to fix a bug in an
adaptive optics platform I'd written which turned out to be in the MS C
compiler. This is why open source happened.

I've only used Linux since. I don't do games, so it's a no-brainer. If I did,
there's the dual boot / virtual machine route. You may prefer to move to a
newer Windows, if your machine is up to it. Either way, do it soon. XP is
unsupported, which means you shouldn't really connect it to the big bad
internet. There are nasty viruses out there, and XP won't be protected against
new ones any more.