Re: [RP] CVS updates

From: Ben Leslie
Subject: Re: [RP] CVS updates
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:42:04 +1100

<snip>

> Notice this means that 'C-t:' no longer runs shell commands.  This
> binding has been moved to a more sensible home at 'C-t!'.  It will
> also now accept arguments, so you can type
>
> C-t! xmessage foo bar baz
>
> and it will work.  The shell command name is exec, so this even works:

<snip>

> Please test and comment, criticize, hack, patch, etc.
>
> Ryan

Being able to pass command paremeters to C-t! is really great! Glad to
have that now.

I was thinking about something else today. I had another idea for
application launching today, which is probably crap but see what you think.

Often I find myself opening a terminal and then just launching one
interactive program (eg: mutt, bitchx, psql, python).

This has a couple of disadvantages, first one is that the window name
will just be "rxvt" which isn't helpful when you have 6 or 7 "rxvt"
windows. Also you quit the program and then need to quit rxvt. (Ok,
I'm being really picky here ;).

Now I found you can startup rxvt with a -e parameter and it will
launch a terminal window with the specified program running and also
name the window appropriately.

I was wondering if it would be useful/make sense to create an action
which do this automagically. eg: hit C-t@ (arbitary and just coz it
is the key next to !).

Comments?

Cheers,