Re: [RP] CVS updates

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] CVS updates
Date: 15 Feb 2001 01:16:11 -0800

Martin Samuelsson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 08:34:57PM -0800, Ryan Yeske wrote:
> > :number 3
> >
> > will take you to window 3
>
> WAIT A MINUTE!
>
> this is really not a good idea at all. in my opinion number should
> move the current window to the number given. like it works in screen
> that is.
>
> example:
> "C-tw" "0-xterm 1*xlogo"
> "C-t:number 5"
> "C-tw" "0-xterm 5*xlogo"
> "C-t:number 0"
> "C-tw" "0*xlogo 5-xterm"

ACK!  I fiddled with screen to get all the command names consistent
and I found that there was nothing like what I called 'number'.  It
turns out 'select' in screen takes a number *or* a string and goes to
that window.  (I'm not sure what happens when you have a window named a
number, I'll have to look at the code.)

Not only that, but I did not see the 'number' command in screen.  Not
surprised, I never use it (the 'number' command that is, I *do* use
screen!) and I didn't look at the command set *too* closely.

> i sent a patch doing this a while ago. but i guess there's not much
> use of it any longer with this rewriting that have been done. (i
> havn't actually looked at the code yet)

I'll dig up the patch, parts of it may still be relevant.  I wasn't
coding much on ratpoison when you posted it before, so I didn't take
much notice then.

The keymapping/user function code is very in flux now.  I have been
incrementally updating the source towards what I would like it to be
while still being compatible with how ratpoison worked in 0.0.5.  This
is just a warning (read: excuse?) about the current state of the code.

> > Please test and comment, criticize, hack, patch, etc.
>
> i gave my critic. hopefully it was constructive.

Yes, very much so.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I'll rewrite the
'select' function to behave as it does in screen and leave 'number'
reserved for renumbering windows.

Ryan

--
Now KEN is having a MENTAL CRISIS beacuse his "R.V." PAYMENTS are
 OVER-DUE!!