Re: [RP] CVS updates

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] CVS updates
Date: 15 Feb 2001 01:24:06 -0800

Martin Samuelsson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 08:18:54PM -0800, Ryan Yeske wrote:
> > I think that is reasonable.  I have found myself typing rxvt -e lynx
> > www.blah.org recently, it'd be nicer to hit C-tC-! or something (we
> > can now differentiate between C-t! and C-tC-! and even C-tM-! or
> > C-tCM-! or C-tCMS-! etc etc) to get a prompt where i can just type
> > lynx.www.blah.org.
> >
> > run time keybinding soon...stay tuned!
>
> let's concentate on this last sentence. run time keybinding. i for
> example do not want anything like a general jeybinding for xterm -e
> statically compiled into my binaries. that is bloat. a better idea i
> think would be to make rp configfile aware and putting this into the
> default system wide rc-file.

ok, since your interested in talking about runtime keybinding and
configfile aware, I'll take this opportunity to ask on the list for
some opinions:

1) basically, how should binding a command to a key work (from a user
perspective) during runtime?

I can imagine typing

C-t:bindkey f exec xterm -e ssh foo.bar

as one possibility.  maybe something more interactive?

C-t:bindkey
What key? f
What command? exec xterm -e ssh foo.bar

both could be available.

What about defining new prefixes?  And naming them?  And then binding
keys to different prefixes?

2) how should this all work within a .ratpoison config file?

Ryan

-- ...  Blame it on the BOSSA NOVA!!!