Re: [RP] argh. split-screen help.

From: sabetts
Subject: Re: [RP] argh. split-screen help.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:40:44 -0700 (PDT)

At Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:45:50 -0700 (PDT) , Jonathan Walther <address@hidden>
wrote:

>So a more pertinent question is, what would the UI of the GIMP look like if
>it *was* designed to play nicely without the rat.  Then one of us could hack
>gtk or whatever.  Theres also the problem with my mail downloader + mutt;

That's not an easy question to answer. Redesigning the gimp...I think the first
order of business would be to get rid of all the transients everywhere.
Transients in general are designed to be dragged around by hand with the mouse.
The gimp is a mess. It acts like that somebody-elses-problem field in the Hitch
Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. It is so gross and I so don't want anything to do
with it that my brain ignores it to the degree that I don't even know that it
exists.

>I'd like mutt to take up all but the top 4 lines of the screen, and the mail
>downloader just the bottom 4; that way I could see if new mail came in without
>losing half the screen.  Maybe theres a better way to achieve that result; I'll
>have to check into it.

Some improved splitting functionality would be nice. Something like emacs
window resizing could prove to be useful in your case. Emacs solves this
problem by telling you about new email on the mode-line, but I this isn't a
solution for you :)