Re: [RP] Thanks

From: eichin-ratp
Subject: Re: [RP] Thanks
Date: Thu Oct 11 08:22:12 2001

I'd like that (the one window system I was ever *really* comfortable
with keyboard-only was Domain/OS on Apollo hardware, and it handled
that nicely - also had "pads" that let you edit your typeahead, but
without extending pty support that's not likely to be possible in
unix...)

One simple trick is to add "move mouse relative to current window in
units of window-size-increment".  Still means leaning on autorepeat a
lot for huge full-screen windows, but it's a start.  Then you just
need start/end/paste bindings; for xterm (and emacs, and probably
other text things) S-Insert is already bound to paste, it *looks* from
the man page like you'd want to bind something specifically to
select-cursor-start() and then something else to
select-cursor-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0)  (see the part of the xterm
manpage that begins "The default bindings in the VT102 window are",
and wonder where you'd find a "Select" key, though it really doesn't
help by itself...)

Another possibility is to run screen in xterm, and come up with an
exec action using xcb or xcutsel to put the screen cutbuffer into the
X one.  (Note that emacs [by default, I think?] connects the top of
the kill-ring with the X cut buffer, so you don't have to do anything
in ratpoison for that...