Re: [RP] Thanks

From: eichin-ratp
Subject: Re: [RP] Thanks
Date: Thu Oct 11 12:35:16 2001

The common X program for doing stuff externally is "xwit" (part of X
"contrib" from years back.)  However:

> What *I* would like is the ability to paste into rp's input bar. Most
> often, it's because I'm looking at a URL in a flat text file, and want
> to open a browser on it. I'm not sure that could be done with those X
> programs.

To a first approximation, just have a "browse cutbuffer url" menu
option somewhere, of the form

netscape $(xprop -root -notype CUT_BUFFER0|sed -e 's/CUT_BUFFER0 = //')

(or netscape-remote -command openURL(...)  if you don't have the
wrapper that does it automatically.)  In otherwords, for this
particular case, you don't need to get the URL to RP - you just need
to get it to the browser...

(using CUT_BUFFER0 explicitly is a little crude, but I can't find a
non-openwindows version of xv_get_sel; xclipboard and xcutsel are both
gui programs.)