Re: [RP] Thanks

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] Thanks
Date: Fri Oct 12 09:19:11 2001

address@hidden types:
> "BadWindow" is a generic X error code (you passed an invalid windowid
> to something); the XGetErrorText in main.c[handler()] is causing it.
> Knowing that doesn't help you :-) If it printed e->resourceid, that
> would tell you what the windowid was, but at that point it has already
> gone away; actually, interpreting request_code and minor_code would be
> *far* more useful because we'd see what ratpoison was trying to *do*
> to that no-longer-existing Window... and in fact, the default error
> handler does that; perhaps ratpoison's handler needs to steal more
> code from the default...

Ok, first a question that reveals my lack of knowledge about X
programming. Do X windows act like most Unix resources, such that if I
create one and exit, it'll be closed?

The window command does getselection by creating "an unmapped
invisible window", copying the selection to a property of that window,
then getting the property, printing it, and exiting.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.